Monday 19 March 2018

Chimichurri Chicken Avocado Salad


After I made chimichurri, I was very excited to make this Chimichurri Chicken Avocado Salad. I was again in my avocado-addiction-phase (thanks to my sister-in-law) and bought three avocados on a Monday.

The avocados started out green like this ....


...and by Saturday they ripened and were almost black.


Putting the salad together is not difficult but I had to make some pan fried chicken first. I defrosted some chicken thighs and deboned them. It is easier to debone when the  flesh is semi-frozen. The bones went into my bone broth and were not wasted.


The chicken thighs were simply marinated with some chimichurri for a few hours and then pan fried in a cast iron pan until browned. Once they were cooked and cooled down, I sliced them into strips and assembled my salad.



For the dressing, just simply use the chimichurri, just drizzle this amazing sauce over the salad. So easy!



Chimichurri Chicken Avocado Salad
Recipe source : Adapated from Cafe Delites

Ingredients :
- 2 deboned chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp chimichurri
- 120g romaine lettuce
- 4 small tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- Extra chimichurri to dress the salad

Recipe for chimichurri : here

Method :
1. Marinate the chicken thighs with 1 tbsp chimichurri for 1 hour.
2. Pan fry the marinated chicken thighs until browned and cooked. While one side is cooking, baste the other side with some chimichurri.
3. Remove chicken thighs from the pan and once cool enough to handle, slice into strips.
4. To assemble the salad, place ingredients into a bowl and toss with chimichurri.

34 comments:

  1. Maybe I will make salad one of these day, but mine no eye see . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind one...in the end also go into stomach...

      Delete
  2. very tasty salad! love the avocado and would like to try the sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love to eat salad and increased this as I am aging now... First I need to learn to eat avocado first. Not used to this alien fruit but my wife loves them esp the Blended Avocado Fruit Juice in Bali... Bluek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eat the avocado when it is properly ripe with salad. Ho chiak lah!

      Delete
  4. Very tasty. I like avocados in my salad, make it creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good replacement for a rice meal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a complete and satisfying meal.

      Delete
  6. Wow!!! That looks stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks so ravishing! How I wish I could have a bowl of this chimichurri chicken with avocado now... lazy to cook for dinner later.. wondering what to eat... hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Ipoh very easy to get good food. I probably won't want salad if I am there hah..hah...

      Delete
  8. Oh, thanks for your tip on how a ripen avocado should look like. Your avocado looks perfectly ripen...even better than the ones I had at Wizards at Tribeca...haha! :D So, I'm supposed to let it turn from green to black by setting it aside for a week. I think I'm confident enough to buy avocados now...hehe! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome :) I hope that you buy some avocados to enjoy. When they turn blackish, press them gently to feel how soft they are because sometimes you need them to soften more (like if making guacamole). If not eating immediately after they turn black, keep in the fridge to stop the ripening process.

      Delete
  9. i might not have the discipline and patience to wait five days for my avocados to ripen! sounds like i should buy them black, heheh :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite rare to find them black at the supermarket or if there is, they might be too ripe unless if you can give them a squeeze to find out.

      Delete
  10. This is my type of salad. I totally have an addiction to avocado. I can even tell the difference between types grown in different regions of the world - that's true avo love ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I am impressed. I can't tell the difference. There are two types that I see over here - Haas and Dole. I prefer Haas.

      Delete
  11. very nice, spring is coming and it is what I need to eat more

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always make good salads! I am sure I will love this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, I am sure you will love this.

      Delete
  13. I love, love your Chimichurri Chicken-Avocado Salad, Phong Hong. You sure make use of the Chimichurri sauce to have it so many ways. This looks like a very healthy satisfying lunch or even dinner when you want to eat lighter! I Google+ 'd it to share! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Elisabeth! It is such s versatile sauce and so tasty.

      Delete
  14. Seem like your new obsession is chimichurri :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Chimichurri, again? One kind of rempah ek?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lebih kurang macam sambal lah to the orang Argentina.

      Delete