Wednesday 5 April 2017

Nutella Swirl Banana Chiffon Cake


It's been a while since I baked a chiffon cake. Was I out of practice? Will I get it right? Usually when I haven't baked or cooked something for some time, I lose touch and the result is less than satisfactory.

Hey, I wish I could bake and cook everyday, but I can't. So. The occasional weekend, I take out my baking pan and spatula and do my thing.


I wasn't exactly organised that morning which is not a good thing when you want to bake. And then I had a disaster with the egg whites.

I guess I took things for granted and did not check to see if my mixing bowl was clean (oil free). The egg whites could not beat up and remained foamy and limp. Bah!

I had to throw out the whole lot, wash the bowl and start over.

It's very shaggy looking and so porous.
And to show you how out of touch I was, I forgot to preheat the oven. Haiz......

So you see, my egg yolks/banana batter was sitting for some time while I sorted the egg white business and now the batter had to wait some more while the oven heated up.

Not only that, I had the case of itchy fingers and I added Nutella swirls to my cake.


Luckily all went well and a chiffon cake came out of the oven eventually.

I was very tempted to try the bare hand method of removing the cake from the pan but, no. Better not. So I used the good old spatula-poking-poking method that resulted in my cake having a shaggy outline.


In spite of the mini disasters, this chiffon cake turned out pillowy soft and fluffy with wonderful banana and Nutella aroma. It calls for a second attempt (because I want to eat some more).

Nutella Swirl Banana Chiffon Cake
Recipe source : Adapted from Table for Two .....of More

Egg Yolk Batter
- 5 egg yolks
- 50ml milk
- 60ml extra virgin coconut oil
- 200g bananas, mashed
- 125g self raising flour + 1 tsp double action baking powder (sifted)

Egg White Batter
- 5 egg white
- 80g caster sugar

For Nutella swirl
- 1 tbsp Nutella to be mixed with some of the cake batter

Method :

Egg Yolk Batter
1. Beat egg yolks, milk and coconut oil until emulsified.
2. Sift flour bit by bit into the mixture and mix until well incorporated.
3. Fold in the mashed bananas. Set aside.

Egg White Batter
1. Beat egg white and sugar until stiff peaks.

To complete the chiffon cake batter :
1. Take 1/3 of the egg white batter and fold into the egg yolk batter.
2. Pour the egg yolk batter into the remaining egg white batter and fold until evenly mixed.
3. Remove a few tablespoons of the batter and mix with Nutella. Set aside.
4. Pour batter into a chiffon pan and spoon Nutella mixture into the batter. Use a butter knife to swirl.
5. Tap chiffon pan gently on worktop to remove air bubbles.
6. Bake on lower rack at 160C for 45 minutes or until fully baked.
7. Invert pan and leave to cool completely before removing cake from the pan.

40 comments:

  1. looks so tasty! i bet you have finished eating the whole cake by now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss eating cake. Haven't had any for a while now, gluten. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can make gluten free cakes using ground almonds. Let me try a recipe :)

      Delete
  3. Cake is not mykids fevret, so lucky for me lah, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i like nutella but i'm not a huge fan of banana cakes ... hmmm, how about a nutella and white chocolate cake? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh! And I am not a fan of white chocolate :(

      Delete
  5. I like to give this recipe a try.

    I like banana cake very much and even tried making it once using steam method and it was straightforwad, just beat the eggs :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like steamed cakes because it is so moist.

      Delete
  6. I've had those egg white disasters, too! Even though I know better! You chiffon cake has the perfect texture. I bet it was delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel so much better that you have had such disasters too hee..hee... The cake was delicious and it was very hard to stop eating :)

      Delete
  7. I last baked a chiffon when I was at school. I baked it with a slightly older girl.

    The texture of yours looks good.

    I baked your yoghurt cottony cake last night. I will post on your FB now. Grateful if you comment on the texture etc. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okie, will go check out your cake :)

      Delete
  8. Tengok gambar pun dah tau..... pluffy ya amat tu LL...
    Tapi mmg betullah LL, kalau kita dah lama tak masak, skill mmg boleh hilang. Rasa pun tak macam hape hape nanti

    Nasiblah kek ni mmg dah ada standard resepi dia....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fluffy habis kek ni, Hainom. Banyak lubang dan udara hah..hah..

      Delete
  9. I love any cakes with bananas in them. Your addition of nutella swirls made it look a bit like a marble cake. Your cake must taste very good for Mr Fish to swim all the way here for a bite! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  10. You made me crave for cakesssssss

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks so yummy! Now, I am craving for nutella errr... cakes ^_^

    If I were you, dah lama dah PH simpan balik baking pan tu. Tak kuasalah I nak go all over again just because of one mistake! You knowlah whenever I am craving for something, what I'll do.

    I'll beli ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought so dear. The MD Solution - buy. hah..hah..

      Delete
  12. Its been a long time since the last time I ate chiffon cake. Your nutella chiffon cake looks so soft and fluffy. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too actually because I stopped buying from outside. Now wanna eat, gotta bake hee..hee..

      Delete
  13. That Nutella chiffon cake from your bake still look pretty, amazing and sedap.
    Oh our nasib almost the same. When long time did not bake, will feel like the oomph is not there...
    I'm going to bake this weekend hopefully is gonna be a success one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look forwards to seeing your cake :)

      Delete
  14. Nutella chiffon sounds good and delectable for a tea break. ^^

    I also not so good when it comes to baking. Need to try and test few times before I got what I want. So that is why I stay put to cooking. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was having a lazy spell for baking but the mood seems to be back.

      Delete
  15. Hi Phong Hong,
    Once I had done everything. ..preheat oven, egg batter, meringue. Then realised something was missing. Ala the chiffon tube pan !
    Nutella and banana a perfect pair! So fluffy soft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! hah...hah... I try to make sure everything is on the table so that I don't miss anything :)

      Delete
  16. I felt so sad looking at your beautiful chiffon cake. Now I miss my mummy who baked me many types of chiffon cakes since I was a kid. She made chocolate, orange and pandan flavours for me. Now I miss her so much. Sobs!


    Will you bake for me to eat so that I would be happy again? Nutella please!


    Wakakakaka

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, how lucky you were as a kid! My mummy baked a butter cake for me satu kali saja LOL!

      Delete