Wednesday 18 May 2016

Honey Wholegrain Mustard Dressing


The first time I tried a honey mustard dressing made with wholegrain mustard was at Salad Shack. I liked the dressing very much. I used to see chefs on TV put mustard into salad dressings. At that time, I thought it was weird.

After I tried it myself, I realized that mustard gives the dressing a lift and from then on, I added mustard to my dressings. I started off by using those yellow mustard that you put on hotdogs or burgers and then I graduated to dijon mustard. 


The problem with me is that I buy a bottle of mustard, use it once or twice and then it sits if the fridge untouched for months. These things have a short shelf life after opening and I have wasted countless bottles of mustard. When it is time to toss the mustard, I dig it out and save the bottle. I collect the bottles because I think they are cute.


Since I liked the dressing at Salad Shack, I decided to recreate it at home. The one at Salad Shack was on the thick side which I felt made it difficult to dress the salad. I remember having to ask for extra dressing because the salad was under dressed. It was difficult to spread the dressing evenly over the greens since it was so thick.


I am quite happy with my concoction, though it is not 100% spot on. When I served salad with this dressing during Chinese New Year, it was well received by my family. So I am sharing the recipe in case anyone is interested.









Honey Wholegrain Mustard Dressing
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 2 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced (or 1 tsp garlic powder)
- salt and pepper to taste

Method :
1. Put all the ingredients into a bowl and whisk to combine.
2. Taste and adjust seasoning.

Note : My recipe is agak-agak (estimated), so please make adjustment according to your taste.

26 comments:

  1. Yes, I do like some of the salad dressings I've tasted around here, anytime better than mayo...straight from the bottle. I wouldn't go back to those, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mayo can be cloying so most of the time I prefer this type of dressing.

      Delete
  2. I actually don't like mustard especially yellow mustard but I've not tried whole grain mustard. Since you like it (and our taste buds are quite similar), maybe I should give it a go! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't like mustard too in the beginning. I thought it had a strange taste and that's because I tasted it by itself. But when I had it with hotdogs and ketchup and relish, it tasted very good. So now when I order my Subway sandwich, I'll be sure to ask for mustard and chili sauce hee..hee...

      Delete
  3. Your agak-agak salad recipe is very nice, colourful and calling me as usual..!!

    I am still at the learning stages to eat the various salad dressings and mustards. They all tasted good to me but I am always at loss when choosing, so I simply add all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought all mustard are yellow and I didn't like how strong those are. Hmm, time to try new flavors huh... dijon mustard...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not nice on their own but enhance flavors of roasted/grilled meat and salad dressings.

      Delete
  5. I have stopped buying products that I will only use once or twice because I will end up throwing them away later. But the bowl of chicken & salad makes me drool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best not to buy if not using often but I never follow this advice.

      Delete
  6. I think if we use different brands of dijon mustard, honey, red wine vinegar and olive oil, we may get a different taste from yours. Can you please share your preferred brands for the four items above? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't have a preferred brand and grab what's available. For this particular recipe I used Maille Wholegrain Mustard, Borges Red Wine Vinegar and Papa Alfredo Olive Oil. As for the honey, it was an Australian brand raw honey.

      Delete
  7. I just bought a bottle of honey mustard dressing recently and used it on my egg sandwich and my boiled veggie

    But mine is without the wholegrain

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honey mustard dressing is very nice too.

      Delete
  8. "These things have a short shelf life after opening and I have wasted countless bottles of mustard."

    You reminded me that I should try to finish my bottle of honey mustard before they expire and go to waste

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, better finish up or else it is wasted.

      Delete
  9. I never have problems with remaining mustard as my husband eats it always with sausages😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it goes very well with sausage!

      Delete
  10. My friend taught me how to make honey mustard dressing and I love it but my version is simpler with only honey + dijon mustard + olive oil + pepper & salt

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your salad is so beautiful!!!

    Same with you, I hardly use mustard. Hubby bought a bottle of mustard once for his salad and only use few times and the whole bottle sitting idly in the fridge till I threw it away.

    Usually my simple salad dressing is just olive oil, vinaigrette, salt or olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper and sugar. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Sometimes I also make dressing like yours and it is also very good.

      Delete