Friday 22 November 2013

Banana Raisin Muffins


This muffin was meant to be Banana Orange Raisin Muffins. But I was too conservative with the marmalade because I was afraid that it would not be well received by my family. With the benefit of hindsight, I should have just plonked more marmalade into the batter.


My favorite muffin is banana muffin and all I need to do is to add other ingredients for variety. There are so many things that you could add like chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruits, oats and even jam. I have a jar of marmalade that is feeling sad and blue in my fridge. And not wanting to have to throw it out, I had better use it before it expires.


Banana and orange came to mind and just to make sure nobody laughed at me, I did a search on the internet. Ah! There are loads of banana orange muffins recipes and it looks like I wasn't so original after all hah! hah!


One recipe I found on Bakerstreet uses orange marmalade. My muffins had bananas, raisins, too little marmalade and very little sugar. Bananas, raisins and marmalade are already sweet and my Banana Carrot Cake did receive some complaints that it was too sweet. 


Just to dress them up a bit, I sliced some leftover bananas and placed them on top of the muffins just like what I have seen in some of your blogs. I used buttermilk and made sure that I mixed the batter very gently. The previous week, I was a bit too heavy handed and my muffins turned out very dense and doughy. Just fold, scrapping from bottom to top until I don't see any more flour.


The muffins rose very nicely in the oven and I rotated the pan at half time to ensure even baking. When the muffins were cool enough, I bit into one and was happy that it was soft and moist. It tasted very good but I was disappointed that I could not taste the marmalade. It was only at a small spot did the marmalade come through and it tasted very, very, nice indeed.


This is a confirmation to me that I should not worry about piling on the marmalade in my future bake.  I would also increase the amount of raisins as I felt that there wasn't enough. I could have easily eaten three or four of these muffins but.........I had to cut back. PH is too fat :(


Banana muffin lovers, give this muffin a try and if you like the taste of oranges, be generous with the marmalade. If you can, add some orange zest. That would make these muffins heavenly! 









Banana Raisin Muffins
Recipe source : Adapted from here
Makes 12 regular sized muffins.

Ingredients :
- 230grams self raising flour
- 1 cup raisins (I would increase to 2 cups in future)

- 1/4 cup brown sugar (if you have a sweet tooth, add more)
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup grapeseed oil (or any vegetable oil)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 medium sized bananas, mashed
- Some marmalade, enough to go into the 12 muffins

- extra banana, sliced to decorate (optional)

Method :
1. Preheat oven to 160C
2. Line muffin pans with paper liners.
3. In a mixing bowl add flour and raisins. Stir to coat raisins with flour (this will prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the batter)
4. In another mixing bowl add sugar, eggs, grapeseed oil, buttermilk and mashed bananas. Stir to mix.
5. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and lightly fold until just combined. Do not over mix.
6. Scoop batter to fill half the muffin liners. Add two teaspoons of marmalade into each of the liners. Then cover with remaining batter.
7. Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes or until skewer inserted into the center of the muffin comes out clean. (Mine were done in 23 minutes)

37 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Victoria! It was something that I grabbed at Daiso :)

      Delete
  2. Yummmm!!!! I love cakes with raisins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, me too starting to appreciate raisins!

      Delete
  3. I have never tried to add marmelade to muffins but it seems to be a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola, it was quite good. Very convenient if you want orange flavor without using fresh oranges.

      Delete
  4. I like to use banana in my bakes too but unfortunately banana always disappear fast before I can save some for my baking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, my house also same! The last two weeks my bananas finished before the weekend :)

      Delete
  5. Yoyo...I think I'll love this special combination! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, I love muffins or cakes with bananas!

      Delete
  6. Looks very moist! And yes sounds like a good combo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, it was very moist and tasted so good!

      Delete
  7. Lovely muffins with banana peeping from it....

    ReplyDelete
  8. These muffins look so moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, yes they were super moist and tasty!

      Delete
  9. Hi Phong Hong, your banana and marmalade muffins are to 'die for' moist and delicious! Love the addition of the banana slices, which I assume would have to be with a less mature banana. I would have to use two different kind...more ripe for the filling, and less ripe for the topping! Also, would have to substitute for A.P. flour since our self raising flour here in the U.S. is quite salty, and has a sour after-taste with the finished product. (we can always tell that its made with self-raising flour)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisabeth! Oh, it is strange isn't it that the US self-raising flour has an after taste. I find it convenient to use self-raising and maybe I am so used to it I can't detect any funny taste!

      Delete
  10. Phong Hong oh! Phong Hong you are very creative you can turn something plain looking into something beautiful looking you are the same since you were a little girl your muffin looks moist and yummy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, EE! I saw banana slices on some blogs and I just follow :)

      Delete
  11. Your muffins looks very moist and delicious! And the changes you've made turns out really well, you mufiinfs are just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! I find muffins very friendly for inexperienced bakers like me :)

      Delete
  12. Hi Phong Hong, I noticed you're very good with baking small cute cakes - muffins. I know where to source for it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! Muffins are very easy for me to handle. As you can see, I have no talent for fancy cakes hee..hee...

      Delete
  13. so long did not bake some muffin, wish you can send some for me , hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, muffins are so easy, kacang for talented baker like you!

      Delete
  14. i actually laughed at your statement when you said hope that no one would laugh at you..at that combination...that's funny..hehe...anyway, you really made this combination sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, very shy lah if I do something weird. So must always check first see got others do or not hee..hee...

      Delete
  15. tell me pls, if I don't have such flour how much baking powder should I add?
    I would like to try it out tomorrow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ola! You can add 1 teaspoon baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda. Please refer to a recipe here : http://www.joyofbaking.com/breakfast/BananaMuffins.html

      Delete
    2. thanks!
      Going to the kitchen now:)

      Delete
  16. Thank you again for the recipe, I ate 3 since the morning:) 3 other given to my sister:) the rest waiting for my hubby to come home:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's wonderful, Ola! I am so happy that you love the muffins :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. so i can see that you're a fan of marmalade :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes! Love the flavor. I used to hate marmalade as a kid :)

      Delete
  19. Hi Phong Hong, this banana muffin look absolutely delicious. Love to have 2 please! :))
    The texture look really good, soft and moist.

    Regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, banana muffins are my favorite and I love to add other ingredients into it.

      Delete