Friday 18 July 2014

Loaded Potato Skins : LTU Potato


I can't help it. Ever since I made Pizza Potato Skins, I simply had to have potato skins again. This time, I wanted it with bacon and sour cream. So Loaded Potato Skins it was - my version. Gaarghhh....there goes the diet again!


But who cares, right? I went ahead and bought 4 Russet potatoes last Saturday. Early Sunday morning I had them cleaned and dried. I also defrosted a packet of smoked streaky bacon and some minced meat.

My bad.
While the potatoes were roasting in the oven, I got busy and fried the bacon until they were crispy. It took a lot of self restraint not to munch them there and then. Right after that I sauteed some onions and the minced meat and added some cumin, Hungarian paprika and some chilli powder (Inspired by the The Pioneer Woman's Loaded Nachos).



The potatoes were done in 35 minutes but I had to wait for them to cool before I could gut them. While waiting, I did my cleaning up. Once I could handle the potatoes, I cut each one into two and scraped out the flesh. I was a lot more nimble this time. Practice makes perfect! 


I had to bake them again until crispy and once they were done, I filled them up with the minced meat, bacon and cheese. My estimates were just nice as all 8 potato skins were filled to the brim. I popped them into the oven again for about 4 minutes until the cheese melted.



I spooned one teaspoon of sour cream on top of each skin and topped with spring onions. Ooohh....bacon+sour cream+spring onions = Ecstasy! Reminded me of Pringle's Sour Cream and Onion potato chips. But hang on a second. Something was missing. Oh dear! I forgot to add salt to the minced meat. But it was still alright as the bacon and cheese provided some saltiness.


I've got to tell you, this thing should be banned. It was so, so, good and so, so, bad. I downed all 8 potato skins while watching CSI. I know. I'm bad.

Last one left. Who wants?
I made a promise to myself that my next potato skins binge will not happen until at least in another 6 months. OK, 3 months. Oh no, maybe next month. We'll see.....










Loaded Potato Skins
Recipe source : Adapted from The Pioneer Woman

Ingredients :
- 4 whole Russet Potatoes
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- 120g minced pork
- 1 big onion
- 1/2 tsp each cumin, paprika and chilli powder (or to taste)
- salt to taste.
- Streaky bacon
- Cheddar cheese, cut into small pieces
- Some spring onions, diced
- Sour Cream

Method :

To prepare the potatoes :
1. Preheat oven to 200C
2. Scrub potatoes very clean and dry them. 
3. Rub the surface of each potato with olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt.
4. Bake until the potatoes are tender and the skins are crisp, about 35-40 minutes. (Check after 30 minutes by piercing the potato)
5. Cut the baked potatoes in half. The use a spoon to scoop out most of the insides leaving a bit of a rim all around.
6. Brush the inside and outside of each half with olive oil.
7. Place the potatoes skin side up and return to the oven for 5-7 minutes. Turn them over (using tongs) and put them back in the oven for a few more minutes or until the potatoes are crisp.
8. Remove them from the oven and set aside.

To prepare the filling :
1. Heat oil in skillet and fry bacon until crispy. Set aside to cool and cut into small pieces.
2. Remove excess oil from the skillet and saute onions until soft.
3. Add minced meat and fry until meat changes color. Add cumin, paprika, chilli powder and salt. Continue to fry until meat is cooked. Set aside to cool.

To assemble the potato skins :
1. Fill each skin with the minced meat. To with bacon and cheese.
2. Return the potato skins to the oven for about 4 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
3. Remove from oven and to with sour cream and spring onions. Serve immediately.



Photobucket

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Jasline of Foodie Baker.

46 comments:

  1. Morning Phong Hong.. I have to say this time, the potato skins look more yummy, really.. Loaded potato skins, that's what I usually see in menus.. And when I read the descriptions, they are always loaded with beef chilli, bacon, cheddar cheese (or whatever cheese) and topped with sour cream.. Yummzz, I can have 20! No joke.. But I will still feel the same, too much work to be done, and just one mouth to gulp down, so, I don't think I will be making these.. I think if I'm to make these, I will boil the whole potato, mash them together with their skin, add in chopped (fried) bacon+onions, spring onions and minced meat.. And then scoop it to my plate, drizzle with cheese sauce and a dollop of sour cream, then makan with a spoon, hehe.. More senang..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louiz! Yah, this one is better that the first one I made. I meant to make beef chilli but since I had some leftover minced pork, I decided to do it differently. You can eat 20? hah..hah...Your easy version of just campur everything will also taste good!

      Delete
  2. Oops! Comment disappeared. I said I gotta try this. My daughter loves potatoes - I am sure she'd love this a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That happens a lot! Don't know what is wrong with blogger. Make Loaded Potatoes Melissa's project for the next school holidays :)

      Delete
  3. Wahhhhh!!! Super drooling at those! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..Lina. can wallop after a marathon run!

      Delete
  4. Loves it, but i don't think i have the patient to do it... kaka....

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh cannot have enough of potato skins huh?? haha, and i think this time it is even more loaded right?? aiyoh, let me see, got minced meat, got bacon, got onions, got sour cream and of course the cheese!!! but then again, spring onions - no thank you - hahaha!! the leaves still okay lah, i can try to swallow that, but those stem part which are white or even purple, i definitely gotta pick them away~~ :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SK, I think I am addicted to these yummy potatoes! A lot of hard work especially in this hot weather. But worth it lah. Yes, I remember you said before that you don't like raw spring onions :)

      Delete
  6. nice lah this potato skin, and from 6 months down to 3 down to 1?? hahaha, later you will be mentioning the gap in units of weeks only.. and now, i think i know where the potatoes went, probably into your chicken adobo and asadong manok?? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I meant to share what I did with the potatoes I dig out. Next coming posts will tell hee..hee...

      Delete
  7. This will make a good coffee break ! Make a nice cup of kopi with this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, I think it will be better with cold beer but I can't drink that :(

      Delete
  8. Hi Phong Hong, sure loaded to almost '爆炸' ... see the big heaps of bacon + cheese filling ... love these baked potato skins of yours ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen! Can't diet liao hah..hah....

      Delete
  9. I can see how you manage to eat all 8 pieces, they look GOOD!!! I dare not make these for fear for doing the same thing lol!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmmnnn... Mmmnnn... I love potato skins like the ones you made. It is quite healthy and easy to eat. I will make them and surprise my wife! Thank you

    I have copied and printed out your recipe! Now I will head to Wing Heong to buy my ingredient! bwahahaha

    Happy Weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. PH, I must call you Potato Lady... hahaa
    Nice write up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann, I look like one too hah...hah...

      Delete
  12. Phong Hong.. I just ate some potato chips during lunch time... I love potatoes too especially the baked ones.. but too lazy to make only cos I can only eat one or two the most.. :) But I know which blog to go next time if I have little kids to take care... hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, make these for your kids when they come back for holiday. And make them help you to korek-korek the potatoes :D

      Delete
  13. I love eating this so much .... i think i can go for one after another and another after looking at that pack of fillings in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, that's what I did. Eat until all finish hah..hah...

      Delete
  14. Hi, PH, you are so cute! I guess the potato skin must be real tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jozelyn, wait till you try them..... :D :D :D

      Delete
  15. Alamak, Phong Hong, I am so glad (right now) I don't live near you because I would have made 8 more of these, come to your house, and eat them all too while watching CSI. :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, and you would have brought your brownies too hah..hah...

      Delete
  16. Yummy! Can eat often but 2 at a time. What did you cook with thepotato flesh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mun, I will post what I did with the potato flesh soon. Stay tuned!

      Delete
  17. Cheese, bacon, sourcream and onions are the perfect combo on potatoes. I want some now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, I was tempted to make them again today but I told myself NO!

      Delete
  18. I want I want!!

    Bacon+sour cream+spring onions, really reminds of Pringles potato chips too! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hayley, one day you must make in your kitchen. It is so good!

      Delete
  19. Hi PH,
    So cute! Looks like a mini edible boat loaded with goodies! Didn't leave one for me, kawan?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aunty Young, all the boats sailed into my stomach hee..hee...

      Delete
  20. this looks very appetising to me! wa, you really wallop all 8 pieces? next time make mini ones...hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, I like big ones lah hee..hee...If not my stomach will complain not enough!

      Delete
  21. Hi Phong Hong,
    Your loaded potato skins are loaded with deliciousness! I think I could finish almost all, well, maybe all! Potatoes, bacon, mince meat, cheese, just PERFECT!! I am thinking of some added chopped jalapenos too! It is almost midnight and you are making me hungry with your loaded delicious potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! Oh yes, addition of jalapenos will give it an extra kick! I'll remember that next time hah..hah...

      Delete
  22. PHong Hong,
    I love your LOADED potato skin. So yum especially the crispy bacon :p
    Thanks for sharing to LTU.
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mui mui! I can't wait to make it again :D

      Delete
  23. OMG!!! Princess Hong - I just read again and you ate all the 8 potato skins by yourself. Pengsan lah ME! Did your weighing scale burst out the springs? Boing! Boing!

    I will copy this recipe again. I remembered making this with missing ingredients and it tasted good.

    #GreedyPrincess #PotatoSkinPrincess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heh..heh....I can eat a lot one , you know!

      Delete