Monday 5 August 2013

Three Color Steamed Egg


This Three Color Steamed Egg refers to the colors from chicken egg, salted duck egg and century egg. But from my dish you can only see one piece of century egg peeking out from the chicken egg.


I took this recipe from the cookbook A Taste of Home by Andrew Kow. This is the first time I am doing a steamed egg and I was quite excited. Having  three types of eggs in a dish is definitely something I look forwards to.


And you know what? This is also the first time that I am handling raw duck egg. Hah! Hah! When I broke open the first egg, I realized that the egg shell is tough and the membrane is even tougher. Are duck eggs like that or is this the result of the salting process? The egg yolks were gooey and I found it tricky to cut them into smaller pieces. 


As for the century eggs (I used duck century egg), no problems and this batch I bought from Aeon are rather good. The last batch I bought from Tesco was quite difficult to handle because the clay casing was damp and very hard. This one was dry and brittle and removing it was a breeze. It took quite a bit of will power for me not to pop the century egg into my mouth. I love century eggs!!!


I also looked up Martin Yan's Chinese Cooking For Dummies on how to get a smooth steamed egg. The tip is to use one half of the cracked eggshell to measure the water to add to the eggs. For each egg, add three portions of water measured using that half eggshell. Also, when steaming, lay two wooden chopsticks across the steamer's rim and then carefully and securely rest the lid on them. This creates a small air vent that allows excess steam to escape so it won't condense back onto the egg mixture.


So how did my steamed egg turn out? Quite alright, not bad for a first try. The only thing not satisfactory was that it needed a bit more seasoning. Other than that, I was very pleased. Like I said before, I do love my eggs!!











Three Color Steamed Egg
Recipe source : A Taste of Home (Page 68)
(My notes and adaptations in red)

Ingredients :
- 5 eggs (I used 3 eggs)
- 2 salted egg yolks
- 2 century eggs
- 2 Japanese bean curd (I used only one)
- pepper
- chicken stock  (I used 1 tablespoon of light soya sauce)
- 1/2 tsp cooking wine (I used 1 tablspooon)
- 200ml warm water (I measured the water using the eggshell method, i.e. for each egg, fill one half of the eggshell three times with water)

Garnishing :
- spring onions
- fried shallot oil (I used fried garlic oil)
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce

Method :
1. Cut Japanese bean curd into slices and arrange at the bottom of the steaming platter.
2. Cut salted egg yolks and century eggs into small pieces. Arrange on top of bean curd.
3. In a bowl, beat the chicken eggs. Add seasoning and water, mix well.
4. Pour into the steaming platter.
5. Place platter into steamer and steam for 12 minutes (it may take longer, you need to check)
6. When the egg is set, remove from steamer and add garnishing.
7. Serve immediately.



Photobucket

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Baby Sumo of Eat Your Heart Out

62 comments:

  1. Hi Phong Hong
    Whenever I am out of idea what to cook, steamed eggs is one of my solution. And steamed eggs dish is when I don't feel like having a heavy meal too. I loves steamed eggs but I am not a fan of century eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I quite enjoyed this dish. So nice and soft. I like all the three eggs :)

      Delete
  2. yummy dish which I havent had in a long time! what are those green berry-like fruits? unriped peppercorn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, those berries are from my henna tree!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Christine, it was yummy! Next time I want to put more duck egg yolks.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sonia! I was so happy my steamed egg turned out well.

      Delete
  5. Hi Phong Hong, I love steamed eggs too but minus the century egg. Salted egg is my favorite when I cannot decide what to cook. :))
    Your steamed egg look inviting.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, I love salted egg too especially the yolk!

      Delete
  6. PH, I cooked this b4, love it :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, I will cook this again. So nice to eat!

      Delete
  7. Hi Phong Hong, My grandma used to cook this dish when I was a little girl and I love this dish very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, we always love our childhood dishes. My grandma used to steam eggs with fermented prawns and they were yummy!

      Delete
  8. Hi Phong Hong, silky smooth steamed eggs. Now I have the fried and steamed versions to try. Thanks to fellow blogger friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, I must try the fried version too as I know I will love it!

      Delete
  9. These eggs looks wonderful and nicely done. Thanks for the tips share for steaming this egg. My mother always cover the plate with a bigger plate end up that she need to steam longer to get it done nicely. Next time I will ask her to use chopstick to create some space to allow the steam to evaporate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jozelyn! It will also take a bit longer if you create the air vent but worth it to get a smooth custard.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Arthur, you should! It is very good, soft and sliky :)

      Delete
  11. Oh yum! It's egg party this month! You bring the steamed eggs and I'll bring the fried eggs! I think between us, we could finish everything! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, I was eyeing your fried eggs! I will try your fried version soon and you are right, we can definitely finish the two dishes between us :)

      Delete
  12. Waa...very nice! Mine always curdled because of too high heat...must try your way and see if can get such nice results:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, you try this method sure can get smooth surface. But it takes a bit longer to cook.

      Delete
  13. Your steamed egg looks so smooth and creamy, and I love the addition of the other 2 types of eggs to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mich! I didn't know about this dish until I saw it in the book.

      Delete
  14. I loved steam eggs too but never with century eggs. Yours look very smooth, just like tofu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica, I guess you don't like century eggs. I love it in spite of the yucky smell :)

      Delete
  15. I love this dish :). Usually cook this when am lazy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very easy to do, hor? I love the soft, silky feel.

      Delete
  16. ivy sew http://simplybeautifulhealthyliving.blogspot.com5 August 2013 at 16:07

    Phong Hong, this is so so yummy :) I think I can just eat like that!!! I am also an egg lover :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ivy, I ate it with one vegetable dish. So satisfying!

      Delete
  17. Normally I have steamed chicken eggs with century eggs, never thought of adding duck eggs inside! This looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasline, next time add the duck egg yolks. Very nice!

      Delete
  18. Phong Hong, your 1st time of steaming this eggs is so successful! This is the recipe that requires lots of skill in steaming. Look at the surface, so smooth! Bravo bravo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jessie! Luckily I checked Martin Yan's book and followed his tips.

      Delete
  19. Phong Hong, your steamd egg looks perfect. i like this. Will going to try out this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, xing hui! Hope you will like this steamed egg.

      Delete
  20. PH, this dish features regularly on our dinner menu, haha. I always use a ratio of 1:1:1 for the three eggs, so your recipe is quite a big serving eh. Its so tasty, can eat lotsa steam rice with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great, Esther! I only discovered this dish after looking at the cookbook. Then I saw it on a restaurant menu hah! hah!

      Delete
  21. PH, this is very good for a first attempt, silky smooth! My first attempt many years back was a disaster, i overbeat it and the egg balooned, it was so funny :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, the eggs can balloon? Hah! Hah! There was a lot of air bubbles on teh surface due to the beating and I was worried. Luckily they burst when heated.

      Delete
  22. This is a dish that i like.

    Your steamed egg is very smooth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Angel! Call it beginner's luck!

      Delete
  23. Wow looks sedapnya so smooth and silky never tell me or else I Will hop over to your hose to eat I love to eat eggs cook in this way Next time cook let me know

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EE, you know how to cook this hah! hah!

      Delete
  24. This is my childhood dish. Yours is so smooth. I must bookmarked this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Edith! The only steamed egg I have eaten before this one is chawan mushi :)

      Delete
  25. Hi PH, thanks for linking this to LTU! I have also cooked this recipe (to be posted later), one of my fav Chinese egg dishes. I saw your ingredient list - got beancurd, that's definitely something new to me. Will try it next time. Your steamed egg looks so smooth, thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, I am looking forwards to seeing your version!

      Delete
  26. I've always enjoyed this dish, especially with the addition of other eggs. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley, this dish will feature again in my meals. Love eggs!

      Delete
  27. This is one of my favourite dish and I liked it with plain porridge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cecilia, I will try with porridge next time!

      Delete
  28. Those look delicious!! I think I will try them this weekend – they would be great next week for “back-to-school” week!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Phong Hong,

    I like Martin Yan but don't really think his egg shell method of estimating the amount of water to add in works. It depends on how you cracked the eggs... *eyes rolled* But I do believe in his chopstick method because the steaming water vapour might damage the steamed egg surfaces...

    Nevermind, yours look beautiful and delicious anyway!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe, oh I guess you are right! I got lucky trying his method :)

      Delete
  30. Hi Phong Hong! The combination of these 3 eggs can be used in many dishes! Yours would be great for a hearty rice meal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alvin! I can eat rice with just hard boiled eggs and sweet soya sauce :)

      Delete
    2. Hi Kak Phong Hong,
      Yang ni sedaplicious betul!

      No bad for your first time steaming this yummy eggs! Adding tofu is new to me. Next time I also wanna try like yours. :)
      Thanks for sharing this to LTU!
      mui

      Delete
    3. mui mui, I am really glad I cooked this steamed egg. Sedap lor!

      Delete